CURRENTLY OUT OF STOCK
New Zealand Blackcurrants are one of the most scientifically tested ‘superfoods’ on the planet.
There is a catalogue of research that continually looks into ‘why and what’ makes New Zealand Blackcurrants such a naturally beneficial Health, Wellness and Sports dietary supplement.
Muscle fatigue is something that affects everyone, whether you are an athlete in your prime, a weekend footballer, or a person who likes to go for long walks.
So if you are looking to reduce muscle fatigue during exercise, then New Zealand Blackcurrants could be the answer. You will also be getting the added benefits of improved recovery, boosted immunity and mental clarity.
The evidence suggests that New Zealand Blackcurrant Extract may
- Improve the flow of oxygen-rich blood to the muscles.
- Lower lactate accumulation during exercise
- Reduce Exercise-Induced Oxidative Stress
- Increase cardiac output, blood flow and cardiovascular efficiency
- Delay Onset Muscle Soreness
REDUCE MUSCLE FATIGUE - TRAIN HARDER FOR LONGER
Health Benefit: Reduce Muscle Fatigue - Train Harder for Longer
The Research: Fifteen endurance athletes trained male cyclists took part in this study for over seven days. Each participant was randomly assigned a dose of Blackcurrant Extract. And the sessions were carried out on participants while in a supine (horizontal) position to examine their cardiovascular functions when resting.
The Results: New Zealand Blackcurrant Extract was beneficial for cardiovascular health in athletes.
- Increased Cardiac Output (15 - 28%) - the volume of blood that is delivered to the body supplying oxygen and other nutrients to the brain and muscles.
- Increased Stroke Volume (7 - 18%), which is an essential factor of cardiac output and is the volume of blood pumped from the left ventricle of the heart per beat. Increasing these two levels allows for more blood and oxygen to reach and fuel muscles to keep them working and delay fatigue
- Improved peripheral resistance (20%) - this resistance allows the ‘fuel’ to reach the muscles more efficiently.
EXERCISE PERFORMANCE AND RECOVERY
- Improved Blood Flow
- Improved Recovery
- Reduced Exercise-Induced Oxidative Stress
The Research: Clinical studies looking into the effects of Blackcurrant powder on exercise-induced oxidative stress highlighted the reduction of protein carbonyls, oxidative capability and creatine kinase activity in subjects who had consumed the Blackcurrant Extract.
The research found that Blackcurrants boost the natural benefits of exercise, by reducing muscle damage and soreness and assisting immune protection. The benefits are scientifically backed to show speedier tissue repair, recovery and performance in exercise. Therefore, this study suggests that at the appropriate time and amounts, Blackcurrants enable those involved in physical fitness to train harder, for more extended periods.
Several clinical trials showed that endurance athletes consuming Blackcurrant Powder or Extract made with New Zealand Blackcurrants showed performance effects for endurance athletes, including improving blood flow. The results of the studies showed lower lactate accumulation during exercise indicating improved recovery, improved performance and enhanced cardiovascular.
The Results: A trial on a group of triathletes highlighted that the athletes who had consumed extract for seven days (vs the placebo group who hadn't consumed any) had
- lower lactate accumulation, showing a complete shift in the lactate curve compared to the placebo.
- Lactate was reduced by 14% at maximum oxygen uptake.
- Cycling intensity (Power) at OBLA (onset of blood lactate accumulation) was 6% higher in the Blackcurrant group.
- Increased cardiac output by 26%
- Increased blood flow, by decreasing total peripheral resistance by 16%
- Increased cardiovascular efficiency through increased stroke volume by 25%. Stroke volume is the amount of blood pumped out of the heart which improves the flow of oxygen-rich blood to the muscles.