FREE SHIPPING ON ALL ORDERS OVER $50 NZD & $75 AUD
New Zealand Blackcurrants have been shown to reduce oxidative stress, inflammation as well as enhancing the body’s natural defences against disease.
The ability to recovery and reduced fatigue quickly post-exercise means that you can do it all again the next day.
- Reduced muscle fatigue
- Reduced inflammation
- Immune support
- Improved recovery
- Improved blood flow
Evidence-Based Recovery and Energy Examples
Health Benefit: Reduced Muscle Fatigue
A trial designed to mimic high-intensity sprints (intermittent running to exhaustion) often seen in rugby and football.
- Increased distance covered by 10.8% vs placebo group (no Blackcurrant extract consume).
- Blackcurrants allowed 15% higher lactate levels at the point of exhaustion. So when you are pushing yourself in a race or training that point of exhaustion has a higher threshold which gives you an advantage.
- Improved post-exercise recovery.
New Zealand Blackcurrant Extract may help to postpone peripheral muscle fatigue, reduced accumulation of metabolites and improved peripheral blood flow. It is also likely that the antioxidant activity of Blackcurrants helps to reduce fatigue caused by the production of reactive oxygen species during exercise.
- Reduced Exercise-Induced Oxidative Stress
- Improved Blood Flow
- Enhanced Recovery
Clinical studies looking into the effects of Blackcurrant powder on exercise-induced oxidative stress highlighted the reduction of protein carbonyls, oxidative capability and creatine kinase activity in subjects who had consumed the Blackcurrant Extract.
The research found that Blackcurrants boost the natural benefits of exercise, by reducing muscle damage and soreness and assisting immune protection. The benefits are supported by scientific data showing speedier tissue repair, recovery and performance in exercise. Therefore, this study suggests that at the appropriate time and amounts, Blackcurrants enable those involved in physical fitness to train harder, for longer periods.
Several clinical trials showed that athletes consuming Blackcurrant Powder or Extract made with New Zealand Blackcurrants showed performance effects for endurance athletes, including improving blood flow. The results of the studies showed lower lactate accumulation during exercise indicating improved recovery, improved performance and improved cardiovascular.
The Results: A trial on a group of triathletes highlighted that the athletes who had consumed extract for seven days (vs the placebo group who hadn't consumed any) had
- lower lactate accumulation, showing a complete shift in the lactate curve compared to the placebo.
- Lactate was reduced by 14% at maximum oxygen uptake.
- Cycling intensity (Power) at OBLA (onset of blood lactate accumulation) was 6% higher in the Blackcurrant group.
- Increased cardiac output by 26%
- Increased blood flow, by decreasing total peripheral resistance by 16%
- Increased cardiovascular efficiency through increased stroke volume by 25%. Stroke volume is the amount of blood pumped out of the heart which improves the flow of oxygen-rich blood to the muscles.