FREE SHIPPING ON ALL ORDERS OVER $45 NZD & $60 AUD
New Zealand Blackcurrants are the ultimate immune system support due to their impressive antioxidant and nutrient content. New Zealand Blackcurrants contain high amounts of polyphenols, and unique anthocyanins which research suggests has antiviral and immune-stimulating properties which make Blackcurrants ideal addition to the diet before long-distance travel or at times of increased stress.
Research also suggests that flavonoids help to improve the function of the blood vessels and reduce blood stickiness, lowering the risk of blood clots. Small blood clots can release harmful chemicals, which form bad cholesterol, also known as oxidised low-density lipoprotein, or LDL
New Zealand Blackcurrant Extract has been scientifically proven that it may
- Immune system support
- Lower 'bad' cholesterol LDL
- Cardiovascular health and vascular inflammation
- Improve cardiovascular output & stoke volume
- Reduce oxidative stress
- Improve peripheral blood flow
Evidence-Based Health & Wellness Examples
Health Benefit: Immune System Support
Influenza, commonly known as the flu, is a virus that enters the body, binds and enters the cells, and begins to reproduce in new cells. Studies conducted by Asahikawa Medical College have found that blackcurrant anthocyanin extract powders have an antiviral effect against adenovirus, RS virus, influenza A (H5N1) and B. The studies have shown that the blackcurrant berry is effective in combating viruses and is recognised for its strong bioactivity and antiviral activity properties.
- In a recent study on influenza A and B, the results showed that blackcurrant extracts high in anthocyanins and polyphenols, may inactivate and suppress the influenza virus completely. There have been numerous studies on the effect that blackcurrant anthocyanins have on virus activity, and proven anti-influenza virus effects of were shown, including inactivation of A and B viruses, inhibition of viral attachment to cells (98%), and complete suppression of virus growth in cells.
Health Benefit: Improved Blood Flow - Reduce Stroke / Heart Attack and Other Cardiovascular Diseases
Atherosclerosis is a disease in which cholesterol builds up in the inner lining of an artery and reduces blood flow. This disease begins when the innermost layer of the artery, the endothelium, is damaged. The endothelium enables the blood to flow smoothly inside the blood vessels, and when it is damaged the reduced flow and associated clots can lead to strokes, heart attacks, and other cardiovascular complications. Blackcurrant polyphenols help repair the endothelium in part by removing plaque from arterial walls. Studies have revealed these polyphenols improve peripheral blood flow by working on the endodermis of blood vessels while enhancing overall vessel function. The causes of damage to the arterial wall have proven that blackcurrant consumption lowers LDL and increases the HDL to help maintain a proper ratio of good cholesterol.
Health Benefit: Improved cholesterol
Clinical trial subjects with high cholesterol levels consumed Anthocyanin extract over a period of 12 weeks.
- Blood pressure decreased significantly compared to the baseline.
- HDL ("good") cholesterol increased and LDL ("bad") cholesterol significantly reduced compared to the placebo group.
Health Benefit: Increased cardiac output and stroke volume
The research was done to see whether Blackcurrant Anthocyanins could alter cardiovascular function and reduce cardiovascular disease risk. The test took 15 endurance-trained male cyclists and provided them with various doses and then measured Cardiovascular function (i.e. blood pressure, heart rate, ejection time, cardiac output, stroke volume, and total peripheral resistance) during supine rest was examined.
New Zealand Blackcurrant extract taken in capsules for seven days increased cardiac output and stroke volume, and decreased mean arterial pressure and total peripheral resistance
The results showed that the blackcurrant powder enabled
- Increase cardiac output 25%
- Increase stroke volume 26%
- The decrease in peripheral resistance 16%
Health Benefit: Lower the risk of heart disease
Numerous trials have shown that an increased intake of polyphenols (including Blackcurrant polyphenols) lowers the risk of cardiovascular disease, through an improvement in:
- blood pressure,
- lipid levels in the blood
- biomarkers such as Nitric oxide (a potent vasodilator), Vascular inflammation and Endothelial function (endothelium: the inner lining of blood vessels).
- In a long-term intervention trial (12 weeks), 150 individuals with high levels of blood cholesterol were given anthocyanins (320 mg/day) or placebo. The results observed significant increases in the HDL-cholesterol (“good’ cholesterol) concentrations and decreases in LDL cholesterol (“bad” cholesterol) levels.